Monday, December 3, 2012

One Chapter Closes as Another Begins


We've lived in the same house since Branson could barely walk.  It was our first house - and it was perfect.  I loved our little neighborhood, the corner lot that our home sat on, our tiny backyard, the stairway banister, and the fact that each of our kids thought it was the best place on earth.  But I realize that change is inevitable.  And I embrace each new chapter of our lives as an adventure awaiting us!

My parents are not in the best health and they're only getting older.  In a perfect world there would be no sickness and eternal youth.  But I know that with each passing day they continue to age and I am at peace with the process.  While my dad continues to work at 78 years of age, I felt impressed to do something to help alleviate his burden.  We chose to sell our home in hopes of finding something that would accommodate my parents as well as our family.  The home-selling process went much quicker than I imagined!  We closed in short order and found ourselves renting until we could find a home that would suit our unique circumstances.  With home inventory very low in the Las Vegas market, we were discouraged by how little there was to choose from in our area.  So we've recently decided that building a home to meet our needs might be a more viable answer.  

Here's a glance at the home we've left behind...

front gates

community picnic area



Our first home



This is where our kids used to ride their tricycles




We designed our little backyard, and picked all the plants and trees



My brother bought us this barbecue when we first moved in


Living Room



Toy closet - under the stairs


Dining Room/Kitchen




This is where my kids used to bounce rubber balls to see who could hit the 2 story ceiling






3 daughters, 1 large room





1 son, all Angry Birds

We called this The Froggy Bathroom because it had a frog bathmat

(I didn't photograph the extra bedroom/craft room because it wasn't too exciting.)

Master Bedroom



Loved the duel shower heads



This is a photo of me and the kids the day our house closed and we turned the keys over to the new occupants.  You can't tell from this picture, but it was a day of splotchy eyes.  :)  

The whole process was very bitter-sweet.  We loved our little home, but we knew that leaving was key to taking care of my parents.  With no downstairs bedroom or bathroom and my dad not able to walk up and down stairs easily, this was the logical step to take.  We knew that the Lord supported us in our decision making and would provide a way for us.  He has not forsaken us and continues to bless us daily.  

1 comments:

Reeve family said...

Yes, I bet it's a little sad leaving your first house that you had so many memories in. What's happening now? Have you found a house you like?