I recently started reading a book called, Christlike Parenting. The main focus of the book is on improving the way parents interact with their children through a simple combination of Christian principles and behavioral science. As a parent I try to reinforce our children's good behavior by simply acknowledging it. When Natalya finishes her homework I tell her, "Great job! Thank you so much for finishing your homework!" Dr. Latham, author of Christlike Parenting, reminds us that it's important to take our verbal praise one step further by recognizing the value that they illustrated. That means that after saying, "Great job! Thank you so much for finishing your homework!" we should follow with, "Your commitment to hard work makes me so happy! You're a dependable little girl. Thanks tons." This simple act helps her to see herself as not only a doer of good things, but as a good person who does good things.
The theme? Love. Parents should maintain a Christlike countenance regardless of their children's behavior. Here's my favorite quote so far (taken from another book titled, Glimpses of God's Love.)
"With all that we as Christians have to be thankful for, we should never stop smiling in our hearts. And those heart smiles will often erupt onto our faces, giving us a special radiance resulting from feeling the joy of Jesus deep in our heart."
I like being a happy parent so much more than being an angry one. In everything we do in life, in every way we conduct ourselves, I hope we remember the counsel to Lift Up Your Head and Be of Good Cheer.



9 comments:
I just started reading this book, and so far I'm loving it!
Is that by Glen Latham? I need to read that one. I have another book of his, The Power of Positive Parenting. It is great, too.
I am going to have to read that one!
Thank you so much for reminding me to do this! We need to get together!!
You are so amazing! I will need to read this one. Your family is very cute!
what a great post! i think we can all use that reminder sometimes! you are such a great mom krystal!:) AND i have been loving all the new posts lately!!:)
Sounds like a great book. I love to read parenting books - I will have to add this one to my list :)
Sounds like a good book to add to my reading list. You're such a cute mom. I remember talking to you on the phone once and you were disciplining one of your kids in the sweetest tone, and I thought, "Wow, what a great mom."
Krystal, thanks for the post. I'm going to check out the book soon. You are such a great person! I remember when we lived out there, I always admired you as a person and a mother. I always said to myself, "That's the kind of Mom I want to be!" Thanks for always being such a great example. Wish we lived closer!
Post a Comment