Today before church began, our young men's president approached me with a request to help him with a lesson he was giving to the youth. He handed me a piece of paper and a pen. He wanted me to write down some of the qualities I saw in Brian when I realized he was "the one". I gave him a short version (just a few to-the-point sentences) of the following:
When I was a teenager, I recall wondering who my future husband would be. I wanted him to be smart. Really smart. I wanted him to be handsome, funny and talented. But most of all, I wanted him to have a good relationship with the Lord. I wanted to marry someone who served a mission. Someone who honored his priesthood and was worthy to take me to the temple. I hoped he had a good relationship with his family members - especially his mom. (I think that a man will treat his wife with much the same respect as he treats his mother.)
I hope he was reading his scriptures, like I was. And then I realized that all the characteristics that I wanted in a future spouse, were traits that I needed to have, too. With this new awareness I began saying my prayers more fervently, studying the scriptures rather than just reading them, and working harder to get to seminary ontime. In fact, I started looking at life a little more seriously. I grew up that day. I wanted to be more like the type of person I was hoping to one day marry.
When I met Brian, I found everything I was looking for - and way more. He was incredibly smart. But he didn't just skate through school on his brains alone, he worked hard and earned every one of his grades. He was ambitious, self-driven, confident, and hard working. He was very handsome. I first noticed his great smile. I loved his smiley eyes and his happy countenance. We worked out a lot together while we were dating - he was so strong. (And he still laughs when I tell him how hot I thought his calves were.) Brian was really fun to be around. He made me laugh - every day. I was so impressed with how talented he was. He could sing, play an instrument, and was an exceptional athlete. Brian was good when it came to communicating. He could relate to almost anyone and had no problem speaking in front of an audience. Wow. What a man.
It gets better. His relationship with the Lord was solid. He loved the Lord and it was apparent. Brian exuded the joy that comes from being faithful. He served an honorable mission in Brazil. He served in his elder's quorum presidency. Brian was a positive example to all who came into contact with him. I could tell that his priorities were in order. He had a wonderful relationship with is family - and he treated his mother with the utmost love and respect.
It didn't take me long before I realized that he was "the one". He was too perfect for me. I only hoped that I was good enough to be his wife. I love that after almost 8 years of marriage he has not only maintained the characteristics that I fell in love with, but I continue to discover more and more reasons to love him.



4 comments:
What a good idea for the young men's president to ask you to write down your qualities of what you wanted in a husband. We love you guys and are so happy that you guys are in love and how blessed we are to know that families are eternal!
This was a very sweet post. What a great thing to record for posterity. (I'm glad I got to read it too!)
Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a message...now I can keep track of you, too! Reading over your blog makes me so homesick for Las Vegas and my old 'ward family.' Your journaling on your blog is an inspiration to me! It's almost more important than the pics. Thanks for being such a wonderful example to me! Abby misses you and loved reading about you and your family. Hugs and Kisses! - Emily
Reading your "testimony" of Brian as the ONE brought tears to my eyes. I hope he knows how truly lucky he is! We love you guys!!
Dad and Kim
Post a Comment