Tuesday, November 10, 2009

More Cotton Balls...

I was talking to my friend Meagan today and we agreed that we are growing and learning as mothers everyday. Sometime we do or say things that we're not totally proud of - and we learn from our mistakes and try to be better next time. In a way, we sound a lot like children!

Just yesterday I said somthing that I taught the kids not to say. Natalya told me that I needed a cotton ball jar so that she could take away a cotton ball for my naughty behavior. Meagan and I got to thinking... maybe WE should make ourselves a, "Cotton Ball Jar for Good Behavior." That way our children can learn to better appreciate our good works and reward us for the many ways we serve them. They can also help us to remember when we've lost sight of the patient, loving way we should conduct ourselves. When the kids fill their cotton ball jar, they get to choose a one-on-one date with the parent of their choice. But when I fill my cotton ball jar, I will choose a family activity that we can do together on a Saturday!

I hope that our kids learn to recognize not just mine but others' efforts to be kind and are quick to give compliments. I also hope that I will remember to practice what I preach! I already made myself a cotton ball jar. The kids were excited at the idea - in fact, they've already given me a cotton ball for my excellent sharing. :)

4 comments:

Amanda J said...

Cute idea!

Maren said...

What a great idea. You are a wonderful mother!

Wynd said...

Such a great idea.. your kids are so cute!

Rob and Dani said...

I have to tell you I love the cotton ball jar idea and it is so easy to do and who doesn't have a jar and cotton balls on hand so we started right away with my boys! I love the idea of earning a fun one-on-one date, beforehand they were earning money to buy something but then they were always thinking about toys they wanted which is not exactly what I wanted them to be thinking about all the time. So thank you for your idea. You are such a good mom. It makes me feel better to hear that even you loose your patience sometimes with your kids - I have a long way to go I think I need a cotton ball jar too!