Natalya's life has been pretty exciting lately. Considering all the "firsts" she's experienced in the last few weeks, I'd say she has been overwhelmed with positive stress. The school year has come to a close and there have been year-end celebrations, report cards, assemblies, 1st grade prep, and their final kindergarten performance. During all this activity, she grew her first permanent tooth, lost her first baby tooth (in that order), earned the citizenship award, turned 6, and had a birthday party.
Most of the excitement began with a wiggly tooth...
Most of the excitement began with a wiggly tooth...
Her baby tooth became loose just as her permanent tooth broke through the surface of her gum behind it. She said that she was getting shark teeth! Just like a shark grows rows of teeth, so was our daughter.
We were getting ready for school. I had the kids upstairs brushing their teeth and doing their hair. When it came time to brush Natalya's teeth I told her that I had just had a dream that her tooth fell out. (I really did.) So just for fun, I tried wiggling it. I screamed when I felt the tooth rip away from the gum a little and we all laughed. It brought back so many memories of losing my teeth when I was her age. Her gum started bleeding and I informed her that we reached the point-of-no-return. When I asked her if she wanted me to pull it for her - or if she wanted to finished the job herself - she said, "I'll do it."
Natalya took hold of her tooth and pulled it forward until it was inverted. Or as my mom would say, it was hanging by a thread. I plugged the sink's drain because I knew it was going to pop out at any second. Sure enough, her tooth was in her hand just moments later and the whole family was cheering. What a fun morning.
Later that night, the Tooth Fairy visited our house. Natalya woke up to a very magical morning. The Tooth Fairy left her a note with a beautiful purple butterfly and one dollar bill rolled up in the butterfly's antennas. (Losing your first tooth deserves something special.)
The note read:
May 27, 2010
Congratulations, dear Natalya, on the loss of your first tooth!
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Lady Kalista and I am your family tooth fairy. I have been your family tooth fairy for over 150 years. Whenever someone in your family loses a tooth, I take their tooth and keep it safe.
Losing your first tooth is a special time for a young person like you, Natalya. It means you are growing up and will soon have new adventures in front of you. Part of growing up is learning to take proper care of your teeth. That means brushing every day and eating healthy foods. In sincere appreciation for leaving me such a fine tooth, I have left something special for you, too! I give you this violet butterfly to help you to always remember the marvelous morning when you woke up to your first tooth missing and in its place, a dollar bill.
You are an exceptional little girl, Natalya, and I am honored to be your tooth fairy.
Love,
Lady Kalista
About Your Tooth Fairy:
Kalista is Greek and means, “Most beautiful one”.
She lives with her fairy friends in Fairyland high in the clouds.
Fairyland is always moving because clouds follow the always-changing direction of the wind.
Kalista was assigned to your family when your great-great-great-great grandmother, Calista Exene Ware lost her first tooth when she was about your age.
Kalista has long, wavy blonde hair and bright green eyes.
Her favorite colors are periwinkle and lavender.
She loves music and plays a variety of woodwind instruments.
Kalista loves all children and encourages them to live healthy lives.
I think this letter was so specific because Natalya LOVES detail. And she's enchanted with magical things. I think there should be magic in every child's life. My life was filled with magic when I was little - I loved all the possibilities. And now that I'm grown, I think it's just as fun watching our kids live in a world filled with imagination.



4 comments:
I love the letter the toothfairy left. That is such a cute idea!
I wish I had such a thoughtful toothfairy in my family. Wow..one WHOLE dollar...that would be the jackpot in this house growing up!
Yeah- When I was little I think I got a dime or a quarter depending on how big the tooth was.
you do the most amazing/magical/fun things for/with your kids! what a big step for that pretty little girl :)
Post a Comment