Take away distractions, schedules, and the noise of every day life - and you have SUMMER. I can't explain how wonderful this summer has been. We didn't jam it full of back-to-back vacations, camps or huge plans. We've just enjoyed our home. Pajamas until 11, breakfast for dinner, no where to be and no one to see...
Prior to summer vacation, our kids maintained a typical love-hate relationship: they played together but needed me to referee. I have seen a total 180 in their relationship since then. They play together - well - for several hours - without me - and without a single argument. Woah. That never happens. I guess they're growing up. But I attribute this change in behavior to summer break.
Taking away TV helped. Natalya and Branson have since come up with several make-believe games. My favorite was when they became super heroes where they had to fight invisible villain forms of themselves. Branson would locate their invisible counterparts on his "GPS" and Natalya would take them out with her zapper. They don't play unless they're in full costume. And that's just a taste of it - they come up with new make-believe scenarios every day!
The best part is that they include Irelynn. She'll be 2 next month and is just mature enough to play their dog, their baby or their sidekick. It's cute to watch her follow them around and try to participate. In fact, she can count to 20, say, "Ready or not, here I come," and try to find her brother and sister in a game of Hide-and-Seek. If she's unsuccessful, she yells, "Make a sound!" and waits for one of them to respond.
Summer has been good to us.



1 comments:
I think taking away t.v. is a great idea. seriously. I feel so much more productive when the tv is OFF...
I can't believe how big irelynn is. Your kids are beautiful!! As is their mother! ;)
Post a Comment