When we got back from Mexico we had just found out the gender of our unborn baby. Much to our surprise, we found out that we were going to have another girl! We were shocked. I was so certain that I was going to have a boy. This pregnancy was so much like Branson's - and not very similar to our girls' pregnancies.
I wanted to inform the kiddles in a special way, so I shopped for the outfit that she would wear home from the hospital along with her first stuffed animal. I found the perfect nightgown and the cutest pink piggy for our new baby. I put the outfit in a white box with grey ribbon to not give away the surprise immediately. However, inside it was wrapped in bright pink tissue paper - so that when they opened it, there was no room for doubt that our new baby was in fact a girl.
We captured their reaction frame-by-frame:
Here I was explaining that each of them came home from the hospital in a special outfit that I picked out for them. I told them that Natalya's was a pink nightgown with a bunny on it; Branson's was a preemie sized striped onesie with a car on it and a pair of blue sweat pants; Irelynn's was a pink nightgown printed with tiny roses all over.
Then I explained that we had given them each a special stuffed animal. Natalya had Magilla Gorilla, Branson had Froggy, and Irelynn had Coco (a puppy). I told them that our new baby would have this little pig.
They were so excited to hug the little pig. They all took turns.
The anticipation was murder. We opened the box.
"We're having another baby GIRL," I said.
Branson processing the information...
Natalya clapping, overjoyed. Irelynn grabbing the gift.
Branson's jaw dropping.
Then he crumbled.
I could hardly lift him from the carpet. He was devastated.
Natalya said, "I think he's crying just because he wanted bunk beds." I asked Branson if that was why he was crying. He said, "No. I really thought I was getting a brother!" Then he cried some more. Even I shed a tear or two. It was so sad to see him that disappointed!
The only way we got him settled down was by convincing him that maybe this baby will like Spiderman and grow up to be a Nascar driver. That provided him a little peace.
I got him to show the camera her nightgown.
It took some convincing that the piggy was for the baby in Mommy's tummy - not for Irelynn.
Natalya is super excited! Not just for the bunk beds, but for another sister. :)
Every once in a while Branson will burst into tears for seemingly no reason. Then I find out that he's still mourning the loss of what he thought was a brother. He's getting better though. We helped him understand that this little girl has been waiting to join our family. We know that she was meant to come to us. And he can't stand the thought of a member of our family being left behind. He knows that he will be a great big brother and protector to his sisters. He also knows that he's not totally "surrounded by girls" as so many point out. He has his daddy. And they will bond throughout this process. I love each of my children. And it's sweet to see their testimonies grow of the Lord's plan for us as each new baby joins our family.



5 comments:
hooray for another girl! so fun. but, i think i would have cried to if i saw branson start crying. so sweet. glad that he is warming up to the idea!:) so happy for your family! and by the way, you look GREAT!
Congratulations on another girl! That is so sad/funny about Branson. I'm sure he'll love another girl when she comes. Good thing he has some time to get used to the idea before she comes right?!
i love the picture of natalya hugging branson.. hahaha..when my mom kept having boys, i cried until she had the baby. lol
Yay for another sweet girl! Poor little Branson. His reaction to your big news almost brought a few tears to my eyes. The pictures of the whole announcement event are adorable. Congratulations.
That is too funny! I'm happy for you and I know Branson will be a great big brother! Let's get together soon; Gigi is all over the place and would LOVE to play!
Post a Comment