I know I haven't journaled for several weeks, and I have about a zillion photos and experiences I need to record, but I had to take a moment to jot down a few thoughts and feelings from this morning.
A sweet family from across the street moved today. The Faubel's have four children - 3 girls and 1 boy - just like ours. Their oldest are 14 year old twin girls, and the youngest are 10 and 11. Our kids adore them! They have been such a good family to have as neighbors. They packed up their moving van and left for Arizona this morning.
I didn't realize the impact it would have on our oldest. Natalya was so upset when we came back from the doctor's office to find their moving van gone and their door locked. She wanted so badly to say 'good bye' one last time. Her disappointment turned quickly to grief. I could tell in her eyes that seeing them off truly meant a lot to her. She was crushed. I held her as she sobbed, shoulders heaving. She cried until she complained of a headache.
I remember feeling like that when I was a child. And although the adult side of my brain wanted to tell her to quit crying, I was inspired by the mother in me to do differently. I held her crumpled little body and stroked the wet hair from her eyes.
Once she quieted I told her that I could not turn back time so that we were home when they left, nor could I bring her friends back - but I could give her a chocolate chip cookie. She nodded and we shared a treat.
Sometimes we need to remember what life was like when we were 7 years old. Remembering make us better mothers.



2 comments:
Thanks so much for that sweet reminder! I am so often impatient, and remembering and cuddling is way more important. I really appreciate your thoughts!
What a sweet moment.... brought tears to my eyes!!!
Side note: We were in Vegas visiting this past week and my Hubby ran into yours in the dressing room of the temple!!!
Post a Comment