July 22-29, 2013
With the countdown finally over, we made it to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic! A full week without kids. Not that we don't adore our children, but a week of solitude tends to make one a better parent. Anniversary? No. Birthday? Nope. A week to remember that we're not only husband and wife, but boyfriend and girlfriend? YES. We thoroughly enjoyed a break from the ordinary. No schedules to maintain or agenda to follow. We slept in every morning and woke up with what should we do today? on our minds.
It's interesting how much we enjoyed the simple things just as much (or even more) that the more obvious attractions. I can't tell you how nice it was to get ready in the morning not rushed and uninterrupted. It beats putting your make-up on in the car at a red light! We enjoyed working out together in the mornings - I wish we had the opportunity to do that at home. We loved sitting by each other - at every meal, while reading a book, or relaxing by the pool. It's little moments like these that I cherished just as much as anything else.
THANK YOU Rob and Kim for treating us to this awesome family reunion/couples retreat/vacation. It was bliss!
Majestic Elegance All-inclusive Resort - absolutely beautiful!
Our room -
- with an indoor jacuzzi!!
There were 9 different restaurants to choose from. Our favorite was called 9 Doors. It's a Japanese tepanyaki grill. SO so yummy.
Left to Right: Brian and (me, taking the picture), Brittany and Bryan, Brett and Stacie, Kim and Rob
(Our group was too large to sit at the same table)
Left to Right: Justin and Kye, (Ian and Kendra), Josh and Danelle, Gene and Jessica, Angie and Jared
Asidato Steak House
Fun atmosphere and great food! The waiters had a lot of personality and laughed and joked with us the whole evening.
Limited Gourmand, French cuisine
I loved this restaurant because it was quiet and had live piano music playing. We sat with Bryan and Brittany and Josh and Danelle. It was fun to get dressed up for a nice dinner.
The pools encircled most of the hotel buildings creating "swim-up" rooms that had direct access to the pool.
Our resort truly catered to guests who stay a full week. There's a different restaurant for every night of the week as well as nightly entertainment. I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson show - the impersonator was amazing! There was also a circus show with elements of Cirque du Soleil. It may not have been quite Las Vegas strip worthy, but it was certainly incredible for resort entertainment! There was also a magic show, karaoke night and live music.
Rob and Kim were so generous to treat the girls to a massage at the spa and the boys to a round of golf.
The Spa was beautiful! After our massages, we spend time in the sauna and aroma-therapy rooms.
I felt like I was in an ancient Greek bathhouse! The atmosphere was stunning - I loved the high ceilings, open-air concept, and the constant sound of rushing water. It was all very relaxing - just what the doctor ordered!
Stacie, Kye and me
I took my book to the beach to read by the ocean. I ended up talking instead! I was glad for the opportunity to reconnect with family. I wish we all lived a little closer.
Me and my handsome man
Midway through our vacation we did a dune buggy excursion! We took turns driving - I took over after Brian purposely floored it through a massive mud puddle and showered me in nasty brown water. We can laugh at it now, but in the moment I think I punched him in the arm. I swear I got mud in my mouth.
We shared the road with a lovely brown cow.
One of the stops along the dune buggy excursion was to a secluded beach with gorgeous clear water. I love this picture! So romantic.
I really appreciated getting to go outside the resort to see some of the countryside. The landscape was beautiful, but the people were poor. I took a lot of pictures to show my kids how children in other parts of the world live. I think it caused my kids to better realize their infinite blessings. I wished I had brought a bag of clothes or toys to hand out. Instead, I just gave them high-5's and a lot of smiles.
Another stop on our excursion was to a cave with crystal-clear water...
Fuh-reezing. I did not take the plunge, but Brittany did - I was proud of her! Way-to-go!
The stalactites were gorgeous-
Brian thought he was funny faking like he was swinging from a thin, brittle "vine". :)
I would rate our vacation 5 stars! It was wonderful to spend every minute with my best friend. Our kids say, "Ewww!!" at a lot of our pictures - there was a lot of kissing. That's the sign of a great trip :)
11 years of marriage and
we're more in love
than ever.








0 comments:
Post a Comment