March 19, 2014
A starlet is born! I always knew that Natalya had talent - she was in "Annie" at 6 years old, and played Alice in "Alice in Wonderland" at 7. But I didn't realize how she had grown as an actress until she earned the role as Wendy in Peter Pan at the end of 4th grade. At 9 years old, she shocked me (and the audience) with an amazing performance!
Before her first performance, I had never seen a rehearsal and she never practiced at home. So while driving to the school for opening night, I panicked and gave her a load of advice. I told her to speak clearly, use facial expression, and connect with the audience during her solos. What I should have said was, "Natalya, go do your thing!" She was incredible! She needed no advice from me. She naturally fell into character as though she were born for Broadway. Her voice is crystal clear, controlled, and right on pitch. From the moment she stepped on stage until final bows, she transformed into Wendy Moira Angela Darling. I couldn't be more proud!!
The cast
Wendy and Peter
Peter was amazing too! They had a great dynamic between the two of them.
The cousins came to the matinee performance! It's really nice to have family in town to support you during special moments like this.
Auntie Lilah and Auntie Ellen drove up from California to see Natalya perform!
On stage...
Natalya with Michael, John, and the lost boys. She sang, "Your Mother and Mine." Gorgeous.
Here are Captain Hook, Smee, the pirate crew, and the crocodile who is Natalya's best friend, Cozette.
(I made the ship! A little poster board and some paint goes a long way.)
Wendy wiping off Michael's Indian face paint.
Wendy with Tiger Lily
Take a bow!!
The play scheduled 3 shows after months of hard work. After selling out, they opened a 4th show. Encore!
Irelynn and Annika didn't want Natalya to stop performing - they kept asking when her next performance was. They would go around the house and sing, "The Second Star to the Right" and pretend to be Wendy. (It's too bad I can't post her videos. Annika regularly asks to watch clips from the play on our computer. We love to relive it!) Natalya wasn't ready for it to all be over either. She loves to act and I love watching her.



0 comments:
Post a Comment