Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Welcome Home, Irelynn!

Brian and I are proud to announce the much anticipated arrival of our daughter, Irelynn Kourtney Reeve! She was born on Monday, August 18th, 2008 at 11:18pm. She weighed 6 pounds 8 ounces and measured 18 and 1/2 inches long.

When I awoke Monday morning, I knew something was a little different. My tummy felt low and tighter than usual. I have contractions all the time, so it was no surprise that I was experiencing them, but they weren't very strong. I called my doctor (who was out of town on a cruise ship) and the nurse told me to go to labor and delivery at the hospital to get monitored. I went to the closest hospital (thinking that I was not in labor but just playing it safe) and called my mom to watch Natalya and Branson. When I arrived I was dilated to 4cm. An hour later I was dilated to a 5 - so I was quickly admitted to the hospital and informed that today would be "the big day".

Irelynn wasn't due to be born for another 4 weeks, but I felt comfortable having her early considering I had Natalya and Branson 5 and 6 weeks early without any complications.

The anesthesiologist gave me an epidural when I was a 5, but it didn't work. So he gave me a second epidural when I was a 7 and that time it made my right leg go tingly. Too bad the baby wasn't coming out my thigh! My labor progressed quickly from that point and it was too late for another epidural. After a 10 or 11 hour labor and less than 10 minutes of pushing, Irelynn was delivered. Though I was initially upset that my baby was delivered by some on-call doctor whom I had never before met, the important thing was that was a healthy baby girl.



We each held her for a minute before they discovered something was wrong. Irelynn was having a difficult time "transitioning" from breathing fluid to room air. She was also not regulating her own body temperature (in other words, she was cold). Before long, there was a staff of nurses and doctors working to evaluate Irelynn's condition. The neonatologist said that she needed to be transported by ambulance to another hospital to receive level 3 neonatal intensive care. All of this happened so quickly that it didn't feel real. It wasn't until Brian left with the ambulance and I was alone in my hospital bed that it all sunk in. I wanted so badly to be with my baby. And I was angry with myself for going into labor before she was ready - even though I was overly anxious to be done with pregnancy.




Irelynn was well taken care of by a wonderful staff of doctors and nurses. Upon arrival they treated her for pneumonia and gave her surfactant to clear her lungs. She spent a total of only 7 days in the NICU. One nurse called her their "little fighter" and mentioned that she recovered much quicker than they expected.



Our sweet baby is now at home and doing well, despite loosing a little too much weight. Her doctor is keeping a close eye on her and expects her to bounce back. We are so thankful to live in the age of modern medicine. What a blessing it is to have the resources and knowledge needed to save lives. We are so glad that Irelynn chose to come to our family - she is such a special little girl! Her life, as well as the lives of so many other premature babies, reminds us that life is nothing short of a miracle.



This is the day before I gave birth to Irelynn.




Brian and the kids in the hospital waiting room.




A lovely picture of me in early stages of labor.

Irelynn's first picture.



Just following delivery - before they realized anything was wrong.





Proud daddy!





One final hug and kiss before they took her to the other hospital.



Irelynn's team of 7 in the ambulance with daddy following close behind in his car.

Here you see her ventilator down her throat, feeding tube/air vent also down her throat (though they moved it to her nose later), IV fluid in her right hand, heart rate monitor, breaths per minute monitor, oxygenation monitor, temperature monitor, and blood pressure cuff.



They moved her from the incubator to an open-air warmer.




I was discharged from the hospital just 11 hours after giving birth because the hospital staff knew that I was anxious to be with my baby.


This is the first time I saw Irelynn after birth.


Her chest x-rays came back very cloudy so they began using a suction periodically to help her clear her lungs.




She opened her eyes for us! They're blue!


The nurse let me change her diaper :)


Brian's mom, "Nana," with Irelynn. Big stretch!


This is also the first day they took her off the ventilator! We were SHOCKED when they told us they had taken her off the vent. Just 24 hours earlier her condition was very poor - but by the next morning she had made HUGE improvements!! We were so proud of her! The only set-back was her IV placement. They moved it from one hand to the other, but her arms kept swelling. So they eventually had to move her IV to a vein in her head. I was thankful for the care that she was receiving, but I really wanted that IV out of her head!



Irelynn wearing clothes for the first time. The NICU doesn't allow parents to bring clothes for their babies because they want to make certain they are properly clean. They wash everything in 180 degrees to ensure cleanliness. So this is what Irelynn's nurse, Dee, picked out for her and I think she looks adorable!


Four days after she was born, they began feeding her. They let me feed her every time I visited, so long as our visit was during her feeding schedule. She ate like a champ!


Before long, they had removed all the tubes she was so dependent upon and were monitoring only her vitals, how much she would eat, and her jaundice. Here she is under the bililights.





Natalya and Branson could finally see their "baby sissy" from a window. They are so proud to have a baby sister.


I think we all forget just how tiny they come.

Welcome home, Irelynn! They surprised me by saying it was time to bring my baby home. She had made such a remarkable recovery in such a short period of time. I wasn't ready - I had to run home to get her car seat and an outfit. Before we could bring her home, they had her perform a car seat test. That is, she had to spend one hour in her car seat at the hospital to see if her head would slide forward, therefore obstructing her airway. She passed with flying colors!


Natalya holding her baby sister for the first time! And below, Brian helping Branson hold his "sissy" for the first time. They couldn't get enough of her.



Grandma and Grandaddy with Irelynn.
Irelynn's first "Oreo" kiss. My parents always gave me "Oreo's" growing up.




What a little miracle! 
We're so glad you're a part of our family, Irelynn!

31 comments:

Kindermusik with Celeste said...

I am glad everything is well. That is a scary, scary feeling. Seeing your pictures took me back to when my youngest, Chase, was in the NICU for 3 months. She is beautiful and you look amazing. Congrats on your growing family!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I should have kept better tabs on you! I did not realize you were so close to being due. She is adorable. I guess a visit is in the future- when you are up to it :) Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

congrats!! i am so glad that she is okay! and she is beautiful.:) i'll check back for more pictures!!

Chad and Lesha said...

Krystal, I am so glad you have your baby home. You are such a sweet mom and I love you so much.
Congrats on finally bringing her home. Pretty soon this will be just a faint memory...
I love you guys, Love your Lesha

Amanda J said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! I'm glad that things are okay now. I can't wait to see her!

dena said...

What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing, Krystal. I'm so happy for you and your family. And to hear that Irelynn is doing well.

Emily said...

What a crazy couple of weeks you've had! But - Congratulations!! She is beautiful! I'm so glad that things worked out so well even though it was kind of a scary start. Hope everything continues to go good, and make sure you keep posting pictures! I'll be thinking about you guys!!

Emily said...

She's beautiful! And what an eventful couple of weeks for your little family-most especially Irelynn. I'll bet that was scary. So glad to hear she's home and you're all doing well. Welcome Irelynn! (Love the name!)

Unknown said...

Way to go Irelynn!! What a beautiful photo! Congratulations you guys. I can't wait to meet her!
XOXO,
Uncle Spencer

Chelsea said...

I have been checking your blog to see if you posted pictures of Irelynn. She is a beautiful baby. I'm so happy she is home with you now. If you need any help with anything please call!

Brittany said...

She is so beautiful! I am so happy you have her home and that you are able to have all of your family under the same roof.

Wynd said...

She is beautiful and we are so glad everything is okay! I love all the fun pictures.

Annie B said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! We were wondering if Irelynn had arrived. Thanks for posting!!

ksdavis6 said...

iCongrats to the Reeves family. We are all happy that Irelynn is at home, healthy. I love the picture with Natalyia holder her.

Reeve family said...

Wow, Krystal you have a little fighter! Irelynn is beautiful and we can't wait to meet her!

Rob and Dani said...

Holy Cow! I can't believe all of this has been going on all the while I have been thinking you were still pregnant. What an amazing story and a special little girl. You guys are such a strong family. I can't imagine how stressful and scary that was for you. I am grateful all is well now. She is beautiful! I can't wait to see your cute family of 5 - crazy!

Alli Waldron said...

Congratulations! My baby boy was in the NICU for about 2 weeks and it sure makes for a different experience. We went through many of the same things with teh surfactant, ventilator, feeding tubes, lights, etc. Looking at your pictures brought tears to my eyes. It was the longest two weeks of my life and it pained me to see my baby with all of those tubes in him. Now we have a healthy, happy boy! I couldn't be more grateful for the Summerlin NICU. She is beautiful and you all look so happy.

Tara said...

Hey, we found your blog through others in the ward. She is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations!!! i am so glad that she is home with you now. Let me know if you need anything.

Jamie said...

Wow, what a way to come into the world! Irelynn must have wanted a dramatic entrance!! We're glad to see that all is well now! August 18th is my mom's birthday, so it is a great day! Good luck with three! You guys look great!

Erin said...

Congrats! I can't believe you have 3 kids! Time sure does fly.

AshleyJ said...

Krystal,
Hey! This is your old friend Ashley Jenkins who moved to Henderson. I saw your blog on Rachel's and I couldn't beleive that this was you!! Congrats on your THIRD baby! I cannot beleive it! And how beautiful she is, she looks just like your daughter!!! It's been a long time, but just wanted to let you know I didn't forget you!!
Ashley Jenkins

Crystal said...

Congratulations! She is so adorable. I'm glad everything worked out so quickly. Harlie was really concerned for your family when I told her your baby was a little sick. She kept saying, "Oh, poor baby, mom."

Adventures in Healing said...

I'm so glad you finally blogged about this so I could say a great big CONGRATULATIONS! I'm sure those intial feelings of things being okay with this baby were a great comfort. But I started crying thinking just how hard it must have been to say goodbye to your baby and to have to do so all those many days afterward. I wish you would have gotten to spend more time with her at the hospital but I'm so glad she's home now. Brian looked so sad and tired that Sunday at church, our hearts just broke for you guys. Funny that she was still the same size Will was even though she was born 3 weeks earlier than he was. You do have 'big' babies! If she keeps losing weight let me know and I can recommend a great GI dr- you know, since you seem to be copying me ;) Keller had the same issue. Let us know if you need anything. I can't wait to see her!

Kaymee said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so glad she is sooo tough!! She is darling!!!! cant wait to see her!

Amy said...

My sister had a baby that was in the NICU. It was an emotional experience for the WHOLE family, but especially for her. I am glad to hear that everything turned out well in the end. She is so cute!

CJMsquared+6 said...

Wow... what a fighter she is... She is beautiful!! Congratulations. I am glad that everything worked out. She looks just like your others! Glad everything is going well.

Kristin said...

Little Irelynn is a doll. Glad she's doing well. You look awesome right after having a baby!

Kara Benson said...

Krystal, I am so glad I found your BLOG. This Kara Benson, Your baby is so cute! Congratulations!

David and Emily Wilcock said...

Hi! I just found your bolg. What a first post to read! I am so glad everything wroked out so well. It breaks my heart to see babies with tubes all over them. She is so beautiful!

The Flaathen's said...

she's beautiful, Krystal. Congrats!

The Hoggan Family said...

Oh Krystal reading this made me tear up!!! It was almost a year ago that I went through this and the pictures of her with all the tubes and monitors brought it all back. I know she is home and she is going to parties and everything now, but I guess I am still extra sensitive about it all. I love you! I love her! I love their beautiful room! I love their names on the wall! I LOVE that the girls are twins just like mine! Thanks for sharing all this, you did a beautiful job and you are beautiful! Love you all, Lisa