Wednesday, October 14, 2015

In the Classroom, 2014

October 2014

I work in my kids' classrooms so much that the front office jokes that I should either laminate my volunteer badge or they should hire me.  I love to work in the classroom.  I develop a rapport with the teachers and students, I get to know the administration, and feel connected to my children's educational experience.  

This year Natalya is in 5th grade and has Mrs. Frehner for homeroom.  (She's on a rotating class schedule with five teachers: Frehner, Smith, Metzel, Reese, and Dixon.)  We chaperone most field trips and help at holiday festivities.  I've done some organizing, photocopying, cutting/sorting, but they don't usually need one-on-one time like the younger grades.   

Branson is in Mrs. Stout's 3rd grade class.  She's an amazing teacher and new to the school this year.  I worked in her classroom once a week for several hours.  I started her AR (Accelerated Reader) program and monitored it until I had the baby.  I did her bulletin boards, and worked with students.  I always felt valued in her classroom and Branson really enjoyed having me there.  

Irelynn is in Mrs. Fisher's 1st grade class.  Mrs. Fisher is also new to the school this year.  Irelynn has a huge desire to please and has really taken to the sight word program this year.  I was fortunate to start the sight word program for her class and see it through until I had the baby.  Irelynn earned her "Gold Tag" which is the highest award given!  She learned 1,000 sight words in just the 1st grade.  Little smartie pants.

Annika went to Sis. Mlaker's preschool this year and loved every minute.  I went on her field trips with her and enjoyed hearing the music she learned and art she created every day.  I didn't get to help in her classroom because it wasn't needed in a class that only had 5 students.  :)  

AR was intense.  It wasn't just keeping up with the books they read and their test stats, but also giving out awards and incentives for 100% test scores, the number of books they read, how many points they received per book, and so on.  There were hole punches for treasure box, dollars for the classroom store, chain links with their names on them, and necklaces with beads for each book they read.  I spent hours on AR.  And I'm extremely proud to say that Branson's class was the ONLY class in the entire school to achieve 100% of their goals EVERY quarter.  They were recognized in front of the entire school - all 800+ students, parents, teachers, and faculty - for their astounding hard work!  I'm so proud. 

Branson's class, he's smiling on the left


Irelynn is proud of her 100% test score and so am I.  :)


Natalya earns the 1st quarter writing award.  Mrs. Metzel said this about her:
Thomas Edison said, "Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."  The young lady that I chose for student of the quarter shows that she has the desire and ambition to put effort in all that she accomplishes.  Her smile lights up the classroom and her writing keeps the reader intrigued and always wanting more.  I'm proud of you; you are an amazing author and a joy to have this school year, Natalya Reeve.


Branson and Natalya participated in an after school musical theater program with Mrs. Nielsen.  Their performance was wonderful!


Grandaddy and Grandma come to many, many assemblies and performances.  They're such a great support to their grandchildren!


I organized Mrs. Fisher's birthday surprise for the class this year.  I had the parents ask their child what they like about Mrs. Fisher and email their quote to me.  Then I compiled their quotes and printed them on strips of paper.  I bought a bouquet of flowers and tied each quote to a flower stem with a ribbon.  Then I waited outside the classroom and as each student entered, I handed them their flower and he or she took it to Mrs. Fisher and wished her a Happy Birthday!  It was priceless.  Once all the students had arrived, Mrs. Fisher was holding the completed bouquet.  


Irelynn's classroom

Irelynn on her field trip to the Gilcrease Orchard.  They toured the orchard then got to watch as apple cider was made.  Finally they sampled the cider that they had just made, and planted pumpkin seeds.


Natalya got to build "molecules" in science.  This is Nitroglycerin.  Impressive!

I'm grateful that my kids enjoy school and learning, and I love watching them grow.

0 comments: