The newest member of
the Reeve family has arrived!
the Reeve family has arrived!
Annika Noelle Reeve was born
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011
at 11:57pm.
Weighing 5 pounds 12 ounces
and 17 3/4 inches long.
Our night began around 7pm when I was feeling uncomfortable. Brian had to stay late at the office (he has a trial next month) and I called him to get an idea when he would head for home. Dinner was late getting on the table and by the time I got it all cleaned up, I could feel the contractions. I recorded my first contraction at 8:09pm and they were already 3-5 minutes apart. The contractions intensified quickly.
By 9:30 I was pleading to go to the hospital. We left once my mom came over to watch the kids and 20 minutes later we were pulling up to Summerlin Hospital. It seemed like the longest walk into the front doors. I squeezed Brian's hand through each contraction as we crossed the parking lot. At the time I thought I was shaking because it was cold outside. But when the shakes wouldn't go away once we were out of the cold I realized that the shaking was due to my labor.
They sent us to the Labor and Delivery triage room - that's where they make sure you're in real labor before you're admitted. A nurse asked me to change into a gown in the restroom. My contractions were so agonizing at that point that her request seemed impossible. I worked as fast as I could between contractions to get out of my clothes, use the restroom, and get into a hospital gown before another contraction. Unfortunately, my contractions we so close together that I spent half the time in the restroom huffing and puffing instead of getting changed.
The triage nurse took her sweet time getting around to seeing us. Since it was obvious that I was in real labor (I guess I'm not very quiet through such intense contractions) she skipped the lame questions and got straight to checking my cervix. I was already dilated to 7 and 1/2 centimeters! It's a good thing that Dr. Harter prepared me for a rapid delivery, because that's exactly what was happening.
As soon as the nurses realized I was so far progressed, we were all of a sudden their first priority. One nurse ran out to call my doctor and the anesthesiologist. Two came in to wheel my bed to another room. Then there were people setting up the delivery room and a nurse that was assigned to me. Someone stuck me with an IV needle (twice. grrr.) And one obnoxious nurse kept shoving papers under my nose for signatures. I couldn't even make out half the words through my tears. And my hand was shaking so badly that my signature resembled my 2 year old's scribbling.
All I knew was that I couldn't endure another contraction, sign another paper, hold still for another needle, answer another dumb question AND try to decide if getting an epidural would be worth it. I was exhausted and overwhelmed.
When I asked the nurse to get my doctor because of the questions I had, the anesthesiologist had apparently had it with me. He finally said, "Well I'll just place the epidural. Then if you want to turn off the medicine, you can." FINE. Agh. Brian told me later that he wanted to punch that guy in the face. I think if someone had just said, "You're doing great, Krystal! You can do this!" I would have sent that guy on his way without another glance.
But I didn't. While shaking and contracting, he stuck that epidural needle in my back. I thought I would get relief right away. I was wrong. After several minutes my left foot felt tingly but there was no alleviation of pain. I felt everything. Then it was 11:47pm and time to push. (Thank goodness. I was hoping to have her born before midnight. I liked the sound of 02/08/11 more than 02/09/11. Haha!) So much for the epidural. Luckily it was all over in just under 10 minutes. There's nothing more painful than childbirth. Not to be too graphic, but I thought my bones were going to break. Then it was over. And they placed the most beautiful baby girl on my chest. Ten little fingers and ten little toes. I kept saying, "Oh! She's so tiny!" She was. Just 5 pounds 11.9 ounces.
Brian and I studied her perfect little face and ruled out all other names - she wasn't a Britta, she wasn't Tamzin, she wasn't Kalista, nor was she Elle. She was so graceful. Perfect lips. Delicate features. Long, dainty fingers. So soft. And teeny tiny all over. She was definitely an Annika. Brian and I agreed on it immediately.
Branson wouldn't stop snuggling her. He kissed her head and held her close until we told him to smile at the camera. |
For being so upset when he found out he wasn't getting a brother, he sure is proud of his baby sister now! |
It always makes me nervous to see how the youngest will adjust to a baby. But there's no sign of jealousy. In fact, she shows nothing but love and concern for her. Phew! |
It's hard to imagine someone who's 6'1" and 200 pounds melt at the sight of a baby, but Brian turns to goo every time he holds her. |



17 comments:
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and I love the name. You did a great job - you should be very proud of yourself!!!
Congratulations! She is so sweet :)
Congratulations!! She is beautiful!
Congrats to you all! She is wonderful and YOU look great! Filled out? You don't know what filled out is girlfriend! We can't wait to meet her.
you're amazing!!! and she's beautiful! i love her name! i hope you guys are doing well. i'm so happy for you and your darling family! can't wait to see more pictures of the new addition :) congrats!
congrats!!! i have been checking your blog everyday for an update, and was so excited to see one! she is beautiful! great job.:) can't wait to see more pictures!!
Wow, what an incredible birth story. I seriously can't believe the nurse with the paperwork and the anesthesiologist. Those people should not work in labor and delivery! I am so glad that Annika is so healthy and beautiful. Wow you are a family of 6 - incredible. Good luck with everything - and I hope Brian's trial goes well too!
she is just perfect. I loved reading about your labor. It kind of made me nervous to try without an epidural. I'm not committing to anything, but I'll try to go as long as I can. haha..
I'm so excited for your family! Everyone looks so thrilled!
She is gorgeous and so perfectly tiny! CONGRATS to your family, good job.
Oh Krystal, she is beautiful and looks absolutely perfect! Congrats again.
PS You certainly were not looking "filled out" in your picture, you looked beautiful. If only I could be that "filled out" I would be thrilled. :-)
What a beautiful post of your story and pictures!!! You are super mom for having this baby natural since you felt it all.
Ooh..she is adorable! Congrats! I love them that small. Brey got to 4 lbs 15 oz. they stay your baby longer. :)
Oh my goodness, she's one of the most beautiful newborn's I've ever seen! and so tiny! What a birth story that was too, bet you're not excited about doing that again anytime soon! Welcome to your sweet new Annika! Love her name!
What a ride giving birth is! So glad you get such a beautiful prize at the end. Congrats on another gorgeous daughter! We're so happy for you to join the world of 4 kids with us :). Hope all is well.
Congratulations Krystal, she is a beautiful baby, and I am so glad things turned out wel, even though a little rough!
What a gorgeous little baby to add to your adorable family!
Hey Sweetie! (Have I told you that whenever I call my kids that I think of you. That, and whenever I scrub my dishes with my fingers![:)]) How is it that I totally missed the birth of your daughter??!!! I'm such a terrible friend. Total Congratulations!!! She is beautiful. All of your children are beautiful. And what a woman doing it au naturel.You are amazing. I can't wait to someday meet this beautiful family of yours! Miss you! - Tash
Post a Comment