Wednesday, May 20, 2009

5 Very Busy Days...

For the last couple of years we've stayed pretty close to home. We were home for all the major holidays including Christmas. And I have to say, it's been really nice. Aside from missing out on fun extended family gatherings, we have enjoyed concentrating on our little growing family. But when the opportunity arose to spend time with Brian's family in California for several days, we couldn't miss it. Brett (Brian's brother) was graduating from dental school at USC and they were also blessing their new baby girl in church. What wonderful occasions to bring so many people together! While in L.A. we spent two days visiting Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks; we also went to the beach. We stayed up late and woke up early. This was not your average, "lounge-by-the-pool" vacation! We were on the move the entire time. It was SO worth it! The kids had a blast. We spent much-needed time with Brian's family. We built memories. We will definitely be visiting the Magical Kingdom again - the kids can't stop talking about it.


DAY 1 - CALIFORNIA, HERE WE COME!!

Natalya and Branson were so excited to leave for California, they were smiling in their sleep. :)



Lunch at the Olive Garden.


DAY 2 - DISNEYLAND


When we got to the park, Natalya reiterated, "This is where all my dreams come true!"





Our first ride: the teacups!





This is Natalya's favorite ride - It's A Small World. But it was really interesting to me how their new favorite ride was the next one they went on. Almost every ride was their favorite at one time or another!


An almost complete family picture. Irelynn was sleeping in her stroller.


Branson LOVED ToonTown. His favorite ride was the ToonTown roller coaster.


One of my favorite pictures - Branson's going to help lift the dumbbell by squeezing Natalya's arm and making an intense face.



Nana (Brian's mom) and Brett were such troopers! They helped with our 3 little monkeys the entire time. They watched them when they were too short to ride, they held them when our arms were tired, and they even took them to the potty! They helped make our Disneyland experience wonderful. Thank you!


Natalya at Minnie's house. She was in heaven!


DAY 3 - BRETT'S DENTAL SCHOOL GRADUATION

They make an adorable little family! We were so glad to finally meet Brett and Stacie's little Kylie. She is such a happy, sweet baby. She loves to roll over and spit bubbles - and she giggles at almost anyone who talks to her.


Stacie is so blessed with such a wonderful family! This is her mom, dad, and little brother. They were each incredibly good with our children. Her dad had all three of our kids eating out of the palm of his hand! And I've never seen a 12 year old so good with a baby.


If you can tell, Brett is on the stage. I took this picture while cheering! I can't believe he's a dentist now! Brett is a smart, talented guy. He graduated in the top 12% of his class and was honored because of his success. Congratulations, Dr. Reeve!

After graduation, we ate at C&O right on Manhattan beach.

Grandad loved tickling Branson - and Branson soaked it up. :)


Here is Kyle holding Irelynn. She slept so well in his arms. Was it his special touch? Or just that Irelynn hadn't had a good nap in 4 days? We'd like to think it was because he's such a good dad and grandad. Needless to say, she seemed to like him a lot!


THE BEACH

Right after graduation and lunch, we made a quick trip to the beach. It was a little bit of heaven. I was pleasantly surprised at how much the kids enjoyed it! They didn't complain about the cold water, or sand getting everywhere - they just played. They discovered seaweed, sandcrabs, seashells, and jumping over ocean waves. Once Branson turned purple from the cold, we packed up.

Irelynn discovering sand with Grandad.


Grandad and Granny Kim with Irelynn.






This is a great photo. I love the pier in the background and my husband holding the hands of our two oldest children.


Even when I was a kid running from the waves is one of the funnest parts of going to the beach.


Nana snuggling Irelynn.


Uncle Brett planting a kiss on Irelynn's cheek. She's just so kissable!


Sheer joy.


Granny Kim took the camera from me so I could enjoy being in the ocean with my kids. This is me screaming while running away from the ocean.

Irelynn tolerated the cold water - but she wasn't thrilled about it. Maybe next year.






I love this mother/daughter picture. I can't believe how tall Natalya's getting. It all happens so fast. I can't believe that just 5 years ago, I met her for the very first time.


DAY 4 - CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE & DISNEYLAND

With Grandad and Granny Kim (Brian's dad and step-mom) unable to come to Disneyland with us on Thursday, we were excited to spend the second day of our 2-day park hopper passes with them on Saturday. We had never been to California Adventure before; we were surprised to see how much fun we had there.

Natalya couldn't pass the big letter N (out of CaliforNia) without a picture. :)


Despite the lack of naps and infrequent diaper changes, Irelynn was still super happy!


Although we live in sunny Las Vegas, our kids have never been super excited about water spray parks. That is... until Granny Kim came along! Branson ended up soaked from head-to-toe. Thank you, Granny Kim, for making playing in water parks so much fun!


The boys in A Bug's Land.


Back at Disneyland - I think the men got a little tired.



Disney Princesses.
Nana was so kind to stay in line for 2 hours so that Natalya could participate in the princess meet-and-greet. It was so worth the wait!



Ariel was stunning. I love that Natalya posed like her for this picture!



Each princess took time with us - not just to take pictures, but to get to know one another too.


Natalya with Jasmine.


And Natalya's favorite part - meeting Belle! She was beautiful. And they agreed that they look alike :)


Belle said that she'd be sure to tell the Beast that we said "hello."


This picture makes me laugh. It's like we're 5 again - and posing like princesses! It was so much fun. Even for the adults :)




I let Natalya pick out a souvenir in the princess boutique.


Going to Disneyland on both Thursday and Saturday was perfect. On Thursday we hit all the rides. On Saturday we did our favorite repeat rides, a few new ones, princesses, souveniers, and finally - a parade. Here we are watching the Celebrate parade near the end of our day.








Bye Walt! Thanks again!



DAY 5 - KYLIE'S BLESSING

I was so sad when I realized that I left my camera at the hotel when we met Brett and Stacie at church for baby Kylie's blessing. Kylie looked like a porcelin doll in her white blessing dress. Brett gave her a beautiful father's blessing. It was nice to be together as a family for such a special occasion. We're blessed to have so many wonderful members of our growing family.

After the blessing, we ate lunch together then headed back home. The kids traveled really well considering we were at the end of 5 over-stimulating days. And since we've been home I'm asked to tell Disneyland bedtime stories every night.


4 comments:

Emily said...

Hurray for family vacations! I loved looking through all these pictures. We love Disneyland too! And how great that Brett not only went to and graduated from Dental school but did so well! We've come a long way from the intramural days

Crystal said...

What a fun trip. Disneyland is so great. It was so fun to see all the cute pictures. You have such an adorable family.

Chels Allred said...

This whole post just brought a little mist into my eyes, it totally made me SO anxious to start my family and I can not WAIT for them to be old enough for disney land. SO fun!! What a great trip! Fabulous pictures by the way!

Kara said...

So fun! You are just such a cute mom and your family is so beautiful! Would you send me an e-mail sometime so I can add you to our blog list? It's so nice to keep in touch. My e-mail is schelinfam@gmail. Talk to you soon!